Nairobi: Kenyatta awards parliament's barman for 'exemplary service'

Nairobi - Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday awarded Parliament’s barman for exemplary service to lawmakers. Andrew Gicheha, who reportedly served Parliament for 33 years, received the Head of State Commendation (Civilian Division) award from Senate Speaker Ekwee Ethuro. Gicheha, 57, began his career at Parliament as a waiter and rose through the ranks to bartender, a position he held until 2014 when he retired. According to the Daily Nation, Gicheha’s favourite patrons during his long service included Kenyatta, former president Mwai Kibaki and the late cabinet minister John Michuki.

"I am really happy for being recognised for the number of years I have worked here. I served president Kibaki when he was here and today if we meet he would not have to be reminded who I am. He knows me by name. President Kenyatta was my MP. We come from the same location. He also knows me very well," Gicheha was quoted as saying. Three senators, two MPs and six long-serving staff of the Senate and National assembly were also awarded for their service,
Standard Digital reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment